Dec 20, 2008

I had surgery on Wednesday, and I am happy to report that it was very successful, according to both my surgeon and my plastic surgeon. The surgery took about 5.5 hours, and after leaving the recovery room I was taken to a private room, where I spent Wednesday and Thursday nights. I had a little trouble on Wednesday night with nausea, probably from all the pain medication. But what a wonderful surprise when Paige walked into my room around 9:30 pm! I wasn't expecting her until the following evening, and I was thrilled to see her. Keith slept in the room with me that first night, and we experienced that fun hospital routine of being awakened every two hours by the nurses to take my vital signs, etc.

Thursday seemed to fly by for me although not much happened. I napped on and off. When I woke up Friday morning, I was ready to go home! I had a rougher day Friday - the pain was worse, and I just wanted to be at home in my recliner in my familiar surroundings. Dr. White came by around 11am, and agreed to let me go home, so we packed up and I was home a little after noon. Keith and Paige did laundry, cooked, and took such good care of me. My mom had made us homemade potato soup and cherry pie, so we were set. I will be home for the next few weeks in recovery mode.

Friday afternoon, Keith and Paige ran an errand, and when they came back, they started acting very suspicious! (Let me back up - Keith and I will celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary on Monday, 12/22.) Suddenly Paige had the stereo turned on, playing "our song" - the song that was playing when Keith first kissed me over 30 years ago. Then Keith knelt beside my chair, said some beautiful things to me, and then pulled out a little box - you know, the kind of little box that girls get very excited about! He and Paige had been conspiring for months, and while I left my wedding ring at home during my hospital stay, he had the diamond from my wedding ring re-set into a brand new setting!! Can you say bling?! Can you say beautiful? It is the most fabulous ring and I can't stop looking at it on my finger! Keith completely surprised me.

Unfortunately, Friday afternoon also brought some news from the doctor that we were hoping not to hear. Dr. Clifford called with the pathology results from surgery, and while we knew the chemo did a great job shrinking the tumor, apparently it did not do such a great job on the lymph nodes, because I have five lymph nodes that came back showing active cancer cells. So, radiation is no longer an option, but a requirement. I don't have any more details at the moment; I have an appointment with Dr. Clifford on Tuesday morning and will get more information when we see him.

I was so determined - and optimistic - that surgery would be the end of my treatment. I just didn't think I would have to go down the radiation path. But as I have said all along, God is in control, and I am in His hand, and there is no better place to be. So we will continue with whatever treatment plan is necessary and best to bring us to a positive conclusion to my treatment.

Today I read this passage in Ephesians that encouraged me:

"I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ , the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe." Ephesians 1:17-19

I can testify that experiencing cancer these past six months has certainly allowed me and my family to know Him more as we have trusted Him and placed our hope in Him regarding my health. Through his Spirit, those of us who believe have access to his incomparably great power - and his power is perfect, able to heal our diseases. Would you please join me and my family in praying for my complete healing as I recover from surgery and make plans for radiation treatment? My hope is that my life will be an testimony of God's healing power.

I'll give you an update next week after I see the doctor. God is good...ALL the time.

No comments: