Jul 23, 2008

The Wig Shop

Last Friday was Keith's birthday, so we both took a vacation day and spent the day together. What fun! Keith planned a list of errands, including the Harley shop for some birthday shopping. But it was our trip to Mimi's Wig Shop that was really an experience. Yes, I need to be prepared for my hair to fall out, so Keith drove me over to Richardson to this awesome little store.

We walked in and immediately I wanted to leave. The reality of needing a wig, the thought that I might soon need to wear a wig, was just overwhelming. Of course, Keith walked in and took charge. He immediately found me a "doo rag" (a little scarf that ties in back) that I just HAD to have - animal print no less! While he was having a big time, I could feel myself getting emotional, so I asked for directions to the ladies' room. I walked in and found the entire wall covered in little framed Bible verses - and right there in the middle of the wall, staring me in the face, was one of the verses a friend gave Keith right after my diagnosis - a verse that has been so encouraging to me: "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." James 1:2-3

My desire is to find the joy in my current "trial" of breast cancer, and it's amazing how much joy God will give me when I am willing to look for it. But that's another story for another blog. Anyway, I stood in that little bathroom and wiped away two or three tears of self-pity, walked back out into the wig shop, and tried on the "Dionne" wig. Oh, my goodness. It looks EXACTLY like my current haircut. So Keith renamed the "Dionne" the "Valerie." Then we shopped some more for scarves and Keith asked all the right questions -- how do you wash the wig? how often? how do you style it? He was simply amazing and his fun, positive attitude made wig shopping a success - and reminded me, yet again, why I love him so much.

In the meantime...my hair seems to have started falling out today. While I was fixing my hair this morning, I kept feeling hairs hitting my shoulders. Sure enough, a pretty good amount came out while I was doing my hair. So, I guess the "Dionne" --oops, I mean the "Valerie" -- may get a debut sooner rather than later.

Please think about me as I go through this process. Losing my hair will make having cancer just that much more real. You know, I don't look sick and don't think of myself of sick, so looking in the mirror at myself with no hair may be tough. But this is only for a season, and there is an end in sight, so that's what I'll focus on: the successful end of chemo! Please pray for this success with me!

3 comments:

The Bestest's said...

Valerie...Can I call you that? I know I don't know you and you don't know me, and I have no idea how I got to your blog, well, I do, it was through your daughters, and I don't know how I got to hers (really, I'm not a blog stalker, I am a Baylor graduate who is in law school and during lunch from my clerkship went looking at blogs, so I know I got to your daughters blog somehow from a sorority sisters blog from my time at baylor)...anyways, I think it was fate! I do not have breast cancer and although nobody in my family has had it, for some reason I was drawn to supporting the research for breast cancer and Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in college. Since then my desire to become a part of that team that helps and supports that organization I have been doing the Race for the Cure first in Waco, now yearly in St. Louis and starting next year Washington D.C. with my fiancee. My heart goes out to you, but I know with your energetic attitude, loving family, and faith that you will beat this disease! I have no doubts! I want you to know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers. May God bless you during this time with strength, healing, and love.

Unknown said...

Valerie,

First of all I am so gald that you are sharing your story in a blog. I think it is such a great way for you to share your faith while you go through such a huge trial.

Second know that I have been praying for you, Keith and Paige since my mom shared with me that you had cancer. I will continue to read the blog to see how I can be praying.

In Christ,
Stephanie Heady

Cathy said...

Valerie...You are truly amazing! You are not only seeking the joy, you are sharing it with us (thought we were supposed to be "supporting" you?). Can't wait to see the new Valerie hair do. Know that you all are in my prayers.
cathy bailey